Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New Struts for the Civic

I took on my biggest auto maintenance project this week. Kim's air conditioner went out, so I decided to fix the struts!

I bought a repair manual for her car and the A/C section seemed a little foreign. Her front struts had needed replacement for quite a while, so I turned to that section and it seemed like something I might be able to handle. On my day off 3 days ago I got it started, but by the end of the day I was exhausted and had to put it on hold. One 32-hour call day and 15 hours of sleep later, I started back on the project. It's amazing how much easier the second one was compared to the first; that's quite a learning curve.

Anywho, the struts got replaced and Kim thinks it makes a pretty big difference. I also opened up the console and adjusted the parking break so you don't have to pull all the way back before the brakes engage. And as a bonus I vacuumed it out, since I'll be driving it in the heat until the A/C is fixed. Can't have momma and baby out in this weather without some A/C.

Here's a before and after shot of the strut replacement. It does look shiny and new, but the real benefit is the fact that it doesn't bounce with every bump in the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment